Pages

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, June 6, 2011

Quiet Night

Tonight the mood around here is pretty low.
I am doing my best to just stay away from Hubby while trying to be around "just enough".
The reason for this is because one of his older brothers is currently being held at his hometown hospital on the phsychiatry unit. His mom called today (or shall i say texted us, then called)with the news. He was admitted late last night after an intervention held by their dad, mom, and stepmom.
Apparently his depression that has been affecting him since the fall is gettng much worse and turning into violet obsessions. I think this really bothers Hubby, this is his older brother, the best man at our wedding; they generally are pretty close. Hubby requires space when trying to deal with certain situations, if I were to linger around etc it would result in us getting into arguements initiated by him. It's how he deals with tough situations, so I keep a distance while occasionally doing something nice like while refilling my glass of water refil his without talking etc.
When he's ready to talk about it he will, and this way the talking will happen sooner than if I tried to push it or hang around. Basically a cool down time. But this time I also don't know if he will want to talk about it. He has been having a hard time from the start accepting that his brother actually has something wrong with him, that it's not possible to fix it by giving him a stern talking to and ass kicking. He doesn't understand the concept of mental illness. He in a way thinks that his bro is behaving this way for attention. I have mixed feelings about what's actually going on, I feel that while their are definite moments where the behavior seems attention seeking there is also a lot of it that is disturbing. For instance it really disturbs me that he claims to want to hurt random strangers. Apparently they are thinking it's possible he has aggressive OCD or schizophrenia.
How do you help someone deal with the reality of something they don't believe in? I've even tried to explain as a nurse the medical explanation of mental illness, it still doesn't work. Hubby still feels like people allow themselves to be depressed. I don't think he can help it, he's not the only one in his family that feels similar thoughts. There is the mentality of I'm this way and therefore you are too. As in I get sad and deal with it, therefore you should be able to.
I hope someone calls with an update or something soon because right now the atmosphere feels like we are waiting for something to happen.