Pages

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Frustrated

Before I start my rant I would like to announce that I successfully started and finished reading my newest novel (bought by my awesome husband) "Water for Elephants". Loved it! I almost don't want to watch the movie for fear of ruining the story as often happens with these based on the novel movies. The story is always missing some crucial detail that pulls it all together. And for the second time the whole thing was started and finished in less than 24hrs ;) I just might be a bit of a nerd.

Ok now that that's out of the way begin rant.

I had the day off today because I actually ended up having to go into work last night and work the overnight shift on the floor. Why is that a big deal you may wonder? Well that's not what I was hired for! I am a nurse. I Registered Practical Nurse to be exact, my official title at work is RAI Coordinator which puts me into the management category at work. A downfall of being in that category is I get paid salary, and am non union. No one to protect me.

My actual job involves myself and co-coordinator training nurses and psws on how to properly document their assigned sections of the RAI-MDS resident assessments. I work in a long term care facility and the way the government decideds how much money to fund each facility is by grouping each resident into different funding categories. Some resident cost more to care for, and some cost less. It is my job to ensure our facility is charting properly to get the right amount of money and to co e up with ways for us to get more. This means endless hours of auditing, one on one training with staff, in services etc. It is all tracked through our software system, which I track deadlines to ensure we stay in compliance. In addition to tracking these assessments we also are overseeing the software used by the psws. We are fairly high-tech facility (I previously mentioned use of iPads, we also have touch screens mounted in the halls, electronic mars and flow sheets) so I also am responsible for keeping the systems running smoothly, and making changes as needed. The assessments are submitted by moi, then quality reports are run etc etc etc. It's a lot of little things that add up and are very important.

The problem is that non of my superiors understand what it is we do or how important it is. So what happens is they end up short floor nurses and expect us to work the floor. I have much more important things I need to do, I don't mind helping out but that is not something in my job description. Yesterday for example I went to work at 8am and left around 3pm just to have to go back again at 10pm and work overnight not leaving until 730. Now you tell me how much sleep you think I got yesterday afternoon. Then they don't ask but expect it again tonight. I'm sooo frustrated right now I want to quit my job. The only problem with that is me working where I am until at least the fall will be much more benifical career wise for me, leaving now could cause me to have to start over. I am a younger nurse, good luck getting management roles at my age is hard. Ya some people would say I need to start from the bottom and work my way up, well let me ask you this; when did it become wrong to aspire for more than that and go for whatbyou want.

I really could ramble on forever, so to sum it up I track funding and coordinate ministry required assessments. I am responsible for overseeing documentation standards related to fuses assessment and manage quality indicators.

End rant.